The Hubster said something to me the other night that was so ridiculously cute and cheesy that I have to share it. Out of the blue, he comments, “You know, honey, if you were a dinosaur, you would be a dorkasaurus.” I love dinosaurs, especially T-rex with his tiny arms. I love my husband. When the Hubster and Dinosaurs come together in any situation, it automatically brightens my day or evening (unless the T-rex is eating my Husband Jurassic Park style). Immediately after he said this, I probably got the goofiest grin on my face, the kind of grin where you know somebody just scored brownie points.
Instead of brownies, he earned teriyaki points. We hadn’t eaten this for a while as both of us have been (unsuccessfully) experimenting in the kitchen with some kind of flavor combination that resembles the soy-filled sauce that my husband loves. I attribute finally nailing this recipe to the Hubster’s perfectly timed deliverance of cheese.
You don’t have to worry too much about the vegetables that you put in the stir-fry. Just grab a wok, whatever veggies are your favorite, and two pounds of chicken breasts. Cook and let this sauce work it’s magic. You won’t believe that it’s soy-free. Seriously, you won’t. It tastes that ridiculously savory.
Maybe I should call it “Dorkiyaki” stir-fry sauce. Hmm…
- 1 cup Coconut Aminos
- 2-3 TBSP Siracha Sauce
- 3 TBSP Local, Raw Honey
- 3 TBSP Freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 tsp Fish Sauce
- 3 TBSP Arrowroot Powder
- 2 lbs. Chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 1 Broccoli Crown, cut into pieces with stems
- 4 Carrots, cut into 1/2-inch coins
- Vegetables may be substituted with any other vegetables that you like. Zucchini and Yellow Squash coins would taste delicious with this.
- Mix all of your sauce ingredients, except for arrowroot, together in a bowl.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
- Add 1 TBSP Olive Oil to a wok (or large skillet) that is over medium heat. Add chicken cubes. Cook until the chicken is nicely browned, turning the chicken to cook all sides, about 5-10 mins. Place chicken in bowl and set aside.
- Cut up your vegetables. Peel and coin carrots. Cut up broccoli crowns. Chop peppers. Dice onions, etc.
- Add 1 TBSP Olive Oil to the wok. Toss in your vegetables. When they begin to brown, add the sauce.
- When the vegetables begin to soften, add the chicken. Cook another 10 minutes.
- Push all the vegetables and chicken off to the side of the wok so that there is just teriyaki sauce in the center. Add arrowroot one tsp at a time, and use a whisk to mix into the sauce after each tsp. Stop adding when sauce begins to thicken to desired consistency. (We added a total of 6 tsp or 2 TBSPs.) Allow to gently simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve over steamed, riced cauliflower, or eat by itself. Yum!
Marinade the chicken cubes with our "Yogurt" marinade prior to cooking for even more of an intense flavor profile!
© Julie Marie Pierpont and Death Defying Diet 2013-Present